Friday, July 4, 2008

How much time to give to change?

I’m off to sunny Portland ME to run a small executive meeting for IT. I will miss my Weds posting next week due to the fact I’ll be driving around the state and hopefully sampling a few lobster rolls. I promise to make it up to you.

In the meantime, here’s an excellent question to ponder:

How long should I give myself when I make a change?

Changing your approach & philosophy
They say in exercise that muscle memory kicks in after 10 repetitions. So if you do a move like an ab crunch incorrectly 9 times, you’ll spend many months unintentionally injuring yourself. If you do the move correctly, you’ll be fine.

Changing our lives isn’t easy to do - never mind doing it error-free. The discipline of assessing, networking, questioning becomes habit - but refining those habits can take weeks, months or even a whole career.

Instead of setting goals with time limits (i.e. I will become an executive by 2010) - set milestones against your overall goal (I will read X, take X course, find a mentor for X, target X company, etc). Each milestone is one set of crunches towards your goal of a stronger abdomen.

Changing a major part of your life
Timing yourself is slightly different when you’re experience an external change like moving houses or changing jobs.

I give myself 3- 6 months depending on the size of the change (and how many at once) for life to assume its new(er) patterns. I set milestones within those months but I don’t push myself to do more than get my usual routines back in place. My priority is to not push myself to do more than find my place within the new setting and to not lose touch with my community as the crazy busy times take over.

I’m not always successful at staying in touch - I’d welcome your thoughts on simple ways to do that while running the marathon we call life!

No comments: