Tuesday, June 2, 2020

On #blackout Tuesday

I grew up in Quebec, during the FLQ and the PQ party rise and Expo 67 and the 76 Olympics. I grew up when girls took sewing/home ec classes and boys called each other "homo" thinking it referred to milk. I've been told I am not tall enough, pretty enough, quiet enough... I've been called bossy, feminist, trouble-maker... (and in this decade).

I have been sexually harassed and sexually abused. I've been paid 0.87 on the dollar. Passed over. Food insecure. I've been the only woman in the room. Told I ask too many questions. Told to tone down my natural red hair.

You get the idea.

Yet, I know that my skin colour, my educated speech and my degrees afford me privilege.

My experiences are horrible / sad / unfair. Acknowledging my privilege does not make them less awful. Acknowledging my privilege is necessary so I can learn how to share it or use it to create change.

Will writing a blog post change anything? Will a drop in the bucket add value? Those are not the correct questions. Withholding support until proof of success is offered is like refusing to vote until you know your candidate is elected.

The real question is what else can we do?

There are atrocities in this world today. Shameful, terrible atrocities in the system and in a few hearts.  Acknowledging them, standing up to bullies, changing what I can in my own circles is the least I can do.

No comments: