Monday, February 6, 2012

Gender is news

Gender is in the news constantly. Lately, the news has been full of the horror of the "honour killings" of the teenage girls and their mother in Ontario. The radio story this morning that followed that piece was how a new study indicates that women are better parallel parkers than men.

This is Canada. I hear every day how evolved we are and how discussions around gender are no longer necessary. And yet, stereotypes and/or stories of violence against women are everywhere in our media, our entertainment, our workplaces and our communities.

Publicity and discussion are part of the education process; I'm not suggesting the media leave women out! I just marvel when folks tell me that gender issues no longer exist -  evem after a fall news item announced how supposedly we're still only earning .86 on the dollar, especially in Financial Services.
From stories on how female bosses wreck it for other women, to folks still struggling to make a business case for sponsoring women in the workplace or how maternity leave can "hurt" a career, gender discussion abounds.

I don't think we need to stop the debate but the circular discussions on "does gender difference really exist?" are not helping anyone move forward.

I suppose this is a rant more than a post with helpful suggestions. Gender shouldn't divide anymore than any other factor but yet the divide continues... more underground perhaps, but it continues. I don't have answers but I am happy to listen to yours.

International Women's Day is March 8. I usually mark it with a moment of silence.  Maybe we should encourage more communities to mark the day with us, in whatever spirit they feel they can offer?

No comments: