Monday, March 14, 2016

A mentoring conversation: 3 statements to evaluate life

These three opening lines have resonated with me so much, I keep them posted above my desk:
"I like...."
"I wish..."
"I wonder..."

What strikes me first is how open and positive they are. These opening words are a lead into difficult conversations and positive/negative feelings/ situations, yet they start with a sense of inclusion and opportunity.

The idea is to first state what you actually like about the topic. These would be the pieces you would strive to not change. When talking with your mentor, it could help identify what is working in your career choices, things to keep on the next phase of your plan.

"I wish..." is exactly that... a wish list. No holds barred. What might change? What might be included? What would be so outrageous it could only go on a wish list? What would you wish for if you were brave? Silly? Unfettered?

Wondering:
Look at what you like and what you wish and see if you can wonder aloud with your mentor where the links might be. What would have to happen to make a wish come true?

Wonder out loud the circumstances you could create to take a step towards a wish.

After you've like, wished and wondered Then figure out what can be in an action plan. Don't start with the practical and achievable - reach as high and hard as you dare. If you can achieve 100% of your plan, you didn't wish and wonder enough because there is always more.

No comments: