Sunday, January 11, 2009

Perspective

Someone asked me why I don’t write about how one is perceived by others when networking or mentoring. I tend to focus on how I/we, as individuals, are feeling and reacting to the world.

We are told many times a week to put ourselves in someone else’s shoes. It’s a good perspective to have and one I spend a lot of time pondering when I have pondering time.

But that’s the point… when we’re stressed or nervous, we revert to our core habits. I doubt it is the knee-jerk reaction of many folks to try and take the opposite view beyond thinking “Aack, did that just come out of my mouth? They must think I’m an idiot!” Which is still, really, all about how we’re feeling and not really considering anyone else at all.

So my focus is to help us all (me included) coach our knee-jerk reactions. If yours are going well, please call me as I’d like you to mentor me.

No comments: