Thursday, September 11, 2008

Starting a Booklist

I have many books I return to often and some that are new discoveries. Send me your top 3 books - a treasured favourite; a constant reference; a new discovery!

1 - A treasured favourite
Do What You Are : Discover the Perfect Career for You Through the Secrets of Personality Type
Paul D. Tieger

I think this book is in its 20+ printing and has finally moved to paperback. I may have read every printing. (They’ve got a website now but I find it is mostly to sell the product vs. having more information to share.) This is the first book where I had an “ah ha!” moment instead of something that just reaffirmed what I already knew.

It’s aimed at the job seeker but I find it useful to even figure out what skill set to aim for when changing jobs. It’s an easy read, respectful and the exercise I developed for myself out of it was creating the ‘skills inventory’. The language the book uses around skills helps to focus my list instead of taking shortcuts.

It’s also a great mentoring tool - creating some common language, a potential assessment and a good starting point for discussion.

2 - A constant reference
The Artist’s Way
Julia Cameron
http://www.theartistsway.com/

I actually know folks who have done this program in its entirety. (I would not be one of them.) I do know many of the suggested exercises are terrific for writers and non-writers alike. This is a book that really helps one question the way information is processed and how best to put information out. It’s a lovely personal development tool.

My favourite way to use this book is to let it fall open to a page where I read the quote and try out the suggestion. All random and always relevant.

3 - A new discovery
Corporate Intelligence Awareness: Securing the Competitive Edge
Rodger Harding
http://www.hardingintl.com/

I confess - I’m only halfway through this book but even so, Rodger, you must have had cameras in my department.

One promo reads: "In this compelling new book by a former diplomat, you will learn the secrets (step by step) to developing an intelligence strategy by effective information gathering and analyzing, and then to delivering credible intelligence to senior management."

At first glance, it may seem not immediately relevant to your own world but Rodger points out that ethical business intelligence is vital to our ability to think creatively in a crisis or facing a fresh challenge. This book is about how we think - always a fascinating topic.

No comments: