Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Take a Chance

I am known for being willing to take a chance. Whether it's speaking up or asking a question or trying a new idea without foolproof guarantees - I'll be there to help. Life doesn't come with guarantees and sometimes you just need to stick your foot in it.

Which means I make mistakes. Sometimes many.

I don't make them because I'm foolhardy. I think things through; I just try not to overthink them. And I always have a recovery plan.

Because if you spend all your time trying to avoid making a mistake, you'll only do safe, careful things where others have already ironed out the wrinkles. Perhaps, in banking, that might be reassuring. In our lives and careers, it doesn't begin to tap into who you are and what you can do.

So... deep breath... present that new idea, go after that different job, talk to that stranger in the coffee shop. What's wrong with looking a little foolish ...don't you really look sillier for not trying?

No comments: