Thursday, February 18, 2010

Olympic proportions

I too am caught up in Olympic fever. Women’s moguls, pairs figure skating, snowboarding… I’m avidly participating from my couch. I’m reading tweets and blogs; I’m comparing notes and hopes with friends.

It’s the best of community spirit and I’m loving every minute of it. I was one of the workers on the ’88 Olympic Flame Relay and those months shaped much of my understanding of what community can accomplish.

I also watched this Olympic's opening ceremonies. My personal critique aside, a small piece of the ceremonies spoke to me personally and all that Similar Circles has come to represent.

Shane Koyczan took to the stage with a poem that had the lines:

“…because we are choices
we are millions upon millions of voices shouting…”


If there was an Olympic event in networking – if mentoring got prime time air on TV – if building strong communities had crowds cheering insanely… then those words would be our anthem.

It’s choice. It’s strength together. It’s a shared experience.

No comments: