I was floored. I think there are many unspoken expectations of women in the workplace. I also believe most are more habit than done out of spite but we still need to point them out. Perhaps we may even choose to keep some of them - but that's choice vs. silent pressure.
So what rules do you still see in your workplace?
My list (to grow with your input) that women will:
- Take the notes/minutes of the meeting
- Dress gender neutral
- Sit on the social committee
- Provide the cake/goodies for celebrations
- Not raise her voice too loudly
- Have an extra pen /tylenol / tissue
- Not call attention to herself (wild hair style, big jewelery, unpopular opinion, loud laugh, etc.)