Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Caught in the details?

It's easy to go down deep holes of details...and sometimes it is even necessary. While there seems to be lots of information on how to keep out of the holes, there is not as much on how to get out once you've fallen in.

How can we step out of the churn and get some perspective? Ideas?

Here's what I've been doing lately:
Explaining the situation /solution / idea as though I was talking to my grandmother. This eliminates the jargon and complexity (and my desire to moan "you don't understand!")
Asking questions instead of trying to answer them. Sometimes that makes lots of things go away.
Stopping cold and walking away for a cup of tea, a chat on another topic, etc.

I don't know why being anxious and caught in the details is so glamourous these days?

No comments: