Monday, May 17, 2010

No finish line

Imagine there is no finish line. Imagine that each project only starts another one. Each choice creates more choices. Each direction more pathways. Rather than life getting narrower, it expands infinitely like the universe. (my science may be old but you get the idea...)

So the next time you want to understand the 'end state' of where you are heading, consider that most of your adult life will be spent in mid-change. It's not that we must pick the perfect finish line but that we must make the most of the travel time between choices.

Anne Hines (whose column in the Metro News I discovered just as she stopped writing it) wrote "...life is a constant building up and falling away...Our task is to become as comfortable with the falling away as we are with the times of building. So, when I find myself at a crossroad in life, or feeling that everything I've built is "falling away," I sit back, open myself to the universe and repeat the mantra "Ohmygodnooooooooo!" at the top of my lungs. So far, this hasn't helped much. But then, life is a work in progress..."

1 comment:

Laura Atma said...

I whole heartedly agree. I have a general idea of where I want to go, hardly any idea of how I'm going to get there, and I let the world open up by working, talking, and listening. Everything changes, and nothing ever goes exactly to plan. Which can be a good thing.