Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Mentoring change - Part IV

Waiting is always the hardest part.

Whether you desire change (big or small) or you dread it - waiting for it to actually click into place is like a long sleepless night.

There are no shortcuts. You can be better/faster/more experienced; you can seek good tools (mentors, community, education, experience, etc.). But you can't direct the pace of things beyond your control - which is most of change and life :-)

I think this is one of the toughest challenges mentors/friends/peers/partners face: you can't make time go faster or slower. You can only listen and support those going through the event.

I have a friend who just lost a job, another just diagnosed with cancer, another who landed a national TV spot and another who is pregnant. I can't move the outcomes or timings - I can only remind them to use the time that does exist to be as prepared as possible. I wish I could wave a magic wand but change takes the shape and speed it requires.

So in uncertain times, knowing there are no quick pathways, the patience of the community you've built is the best way to pass the time while waiting.

No comments: