Friday, November 27, 2009

Volunteering as a means to network

I am sticking to my original belief - volunteering is a great way to network.

Last night, I volunteered at a not-for-profit gala for Mixed Company Theatre's 25th anniversary as the 'stage manager'. Basically, I created the event's flow sheet and made sure everyone not only made it to the stage on time, but felt comfortable doing so.

I met every speaker. I met many attendees. I helped a few folks even if it was simply to tell them which were my favourite hors d'ouevres. With very little effort (except for walking in heels and standing up straight in a fabulous dress from Posh), it was a successful event from both the celebration itself to a networking standpoint. And Suhana Meharchand is a terrific emcee!

Volunteering can take span one event, one committee or one cause depending on how much time you have to give. You start because of a desire to contribute - which of course is the heart of Similar Circles. But it also serves you - developing or highlighting skills and giving you a terrific reason to talk to people.

I ask all my mentorees to consider volunteering!

P.S. It turns out that an over-rotated shoulder makes it hard to type at the computer. Who knew? So I apologize for missing the Wednesday posting.

No comments: